Excellence in Scholarship and Learning
Ludics and Laughter as Feminist Aesthetic
Angela Carter at Play
Jennifer Gustar is an Associate Professor at the University of British Columbia, Okanagan Campus. She is North American Reviews Editor for Contemporary Women’s Writing (OUP).
Caleb Sivyer is an Associate Lecturer at the University of the West of England, Bristol. He has published on Angela Carter and J. G. Ballard, and has forthcoming publications on Alison Bechdel and Virginia Woolf.
Sarah Gamble is a Senior Lecturer in English and Gender at Swansea University, Wales. She has published extensively on Angela Carter and Feminism, and The Routledge Companion to Feminism and Postfeminism (2001).
Angela Carter’s provocations to laughter and her enchantment with ludic narrative strategies are two key aspects of her aesthetic practice, neither of which has been the focus of sustained study. Ludics and Laughter as Feminist Aesthetic: Angela Carter at Play responds to this lacuna in Carter criticism. This international collection of eleven essays from acclaimed Carter scholars and emerging voices in the field of Carter studies seeks to reclaim play as a serious undertaking for feminist writing and scholarship and to foreground laughter as a potent affect. While Carter’s work turned to comedy in the later years, from the first publication in 1966 until her last in 1992, her fiction, poetry and journalism engaged in sharp social and cultural critique; she habitually engaged this critique through ludic structures and wickedly funny narratives that challenged conventional norms and ways of thinking. Contributors explore the diverse ways in which Carter compelled a complex and often uneasy laughter by means of a controversial aesthetic that merges a persistently ludic sensibility with a biting intransigent wit. This volume draws on theories of play, surrealism, feminism, as well as studies of feminist humour and Carter’s own journals and diaries to reveal the ways in which her work moves readers towards the unexpected. This volume will be of relevance both to scholars of Carter’s work and of feminist humour more generally; as well, it will be of interest to students and general readers of Carter's fiction, journalism and poetry.
|Hardback Price:||£70.00 / $84.95|
|Release Date:||February 2021|
|Page Extent / Format:||240 pp. 229 x 152 mm|
Prelude: Jennifer Gustar
Part One: ‘Carter’s Funny Bone’—Feminist Laughter
1. Martine Hennard Dutheil de la Rochère. Angela Carter’s "Furious Laughter:" Baudelaire, Breton, Beckett.
2. Sarah Gamble. From the Margins to the Text: Monsters and Laughter in Angela Carter's Writing.
3. Anna Bland. Angela Carter’s Funny Bone
4. Marine Furet. The Indigestible Poetics of Angela Carter
Part Two: ‘The Play’s the Thing’—Ludic Feminism
5. Jennifer Gustar. Ludic Liminality: ‘Certain Kinds of Exuberance.’
6. Anna Watz. “Scattered and Recomposed”: Poststructuralist Play in The Passion of New Eve.
7. Caleb Sivyer. Nothing Immune: Angela Carter at Play.
8. Maggie Tonkin. Terrible Intersections: The Party as Performative Space in Angela Carter's Fiction.
Part Three: ‘The Laugh of the Medusa’—Feminist F(r)ictions and Fusions.
9. Marie Emilie Walz. Dora and Medusa Share a Laugh: Angela Carter’s Play on Hélène Cixous’s Feminist Theory in Wise Children.
10. Emilie Walezak. Thatcher, the Carnivalesque and Punishing Laughter: Angela Carter and the Ambiguities of the Comic.
11. Katharine Donn. The Cyborg in the Tigresses’ Hide: Angela Carter’s Postmodern Ecologies.
Review Quotes to Follow
Books can be ordered by phone or online
Ordering in the UK, Europe, Asia, Australasia, South America and Rest of the World
Gazelle Book Services
Direct sales tel.: +44 (0)1524 528500; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web ordering: www.gazellebookservices.co.uk
Ordering in the United States and Canada
Independent Publishers Group (IPG)
Direct sales tel.: (800) 888-4741
Web ordering: www.ipgbook.com
Information is provided under the Resources tab
e-Book type availability can be sourced via www.ipgbook.com by book title. Kindle availability is via Amazon .com and .co.uk sites.